El Laguito.

10

El Laguito. El barrio El Laguito y sus grandes mansiones nació alrededor del campo de golf del Country Club que aún se conserva, a comienzos del siglo XX. En 1911 un grupo de norteamericanos e ingleses residentes en La Habana, y liderados por Frederick Snare (ingeniero de Nueva York constructor de puentes en Cuba), compraron los terrenos de una finca donde se edificó la casa del Club y un hermoso campo de 18 hoyos par 72 con una dimensión de 36 hectáreas. Un diseño que todavía es referencia para los campos de golf en el mundo contaba además, con canchas deportivas, un club hípico, piscinas y un hotel para alojamiento. El Club que posteriormente fue ampliado mediante contribuciones de… More
El Laguito neighborhood and its great mansions were born around the still-preserved Country Club golf course in the early th century. In 1911 a group of Americans and English residents in Havana, and led by Frederick Snare (New York engineer bridge builder in Cuba), bought the grounds of an estate where the club house was built and a beautiful field of 18 holes par 72 with a dimension of 36 acres. A design that is still a reference to golf courses in the world also featured sports courts, a horse club, swimming pools and a hotel for accommodation. The club, which was subsequently expanded through contributions from associates, became in 1933 at the Havana Biltmore Yacht and Country Club, increasing membership to the extent that wealthy Cuban partners were incorporated and opened the doors to foreigners, especially the Americans, who arrived in a cosmopolitan Cuba that eventually came to 3.940 associates. Great American tycoons like Ringling, DuPont, Astor, and Hershey enjoying the holidays in Havana used the club as an activity center. Around the club was built in the 20 s the Miramar residential project, which remains Cuba’s most luxurious residential area, featuring Provenceal, Neoclassical, Art Dec ó and Californian colonial mansions. ·