<< Santiago de Cuba, la ciudad más fortificada de la isla >> Durante

6

<< Santiago de Cuba, la ciudad más fortificada de la isla >> Durante la colonia, Santiago de Cuba llegó a ser, quizás, la ciudad más fortificada del país; lo cual era consecuencia directa del constante asedio a que fuera sometida por parte de corsarios y piratas en un inicio, y luego, resultado de las medidas defensiva de los. españoles ante el empuje de los independentistas cubanos. Aún hoy la ciudad conserva en sus límites (y un poco más allá), varios exponentes de tales instalaciones que, en su momento, llegaron a sobrepasar el medio centenar. Entre los más reconocidos está el “Castillo de San Pedro de la Roca”, o sencillamente “Castillo del Morro”, justo a la entrada de la bahía… More
During the colony, Santiago de Cuba became perhaps the most fortified city in the country; which was a direct consequence of the constant siege to be subjected to by privateers and pirates at the beginning, and then, the result of the defensive measures of the. Spanish in the face of Cuban independence. Even today the city retains its limits (and a little beyond), several exponents of such facilities that eventually surpassed half a hundred. Among the most recognized is the ′′ Castle of San Pedro de la Roca “, or simply ′′ Castillo del Morro “, right at the entrance of the Santiaguera Bay; witness more than one naval battle; including the famous Naval Battle of Santiago , during the hispanic Cubana-North American War in 1898. The Havana shot by the English in 1762, as well as the English raids into Santiago de Cuba, aimed at taking the city, woke up in the Metropolis fear of losing control of the island and began to perfect the defensive system of the Santiago coasts. The Castle del Morro was extended and improved, in addition to providing 30 guns and 200 men with garrison; the batteries of La Estrella, La Punta and Santa Catalina were also lifted, all inside the Bay. East of the entrance to the Santiaguera Bay in addition to the already mentioned Castillo del Morro, the batteries of Aguadores, Sardinero, Siboney and Juragua (big and small) were located; while west of it, the batteries of Cabana served as a defense , Someruelos, and Guaycabón (Oxcabón) big and boy. There were also other important defensive centers in Punta Gorda, Punta Blanca, Cayo Duan, Buenavista, Cayo Smith (now Cayo Granma) and the Powderin of Cayo Mice. In the city, other defensive facilities were also adding to the city, which came to round up the fortified appearance of the urban area. Among these city fortifications were San Francisco, Concha and Reina Mercedes, as well as a large network of fortines surrounding almost the entire perimeter of the city. The first of these fortines was that of Yarayo (named after the river of equal name), erected in 1814, and which is still preserved today. In other areas of the city, such facilities also abounded. This is how the fort of Pedrera is listed (located approximately at the height of the streets Escario and Pedrera), Santa Ursula (the same was considered one of the best, greatest and well placed), the one of the Cañada (this constituted the Advanced from the Fort of Santa Ursula, on the path of the Lagunas), the Beneficiency (located on Trocha Avenue), the Fort Last (denomination given as being the last construction by the Spanish in 1898; The same was located on August 12th Avenue, Fort New (which is behind the current Southern Children’s Hospital), the Oven and finally the strong gasometer, located near the old gas plant. These buildings also spread outside the city. In the present Casto Vista Alegre was located the fort of Arroyo Hondo; while on the route to the town of El Copper stood out those of San José de Paradas, San Miguel de Paradas, the Loma de la Cruz and the Dos Caminos From the Copper. Others of importance, especially in the last leg of the independence wars against the Spanish rule, were those of El Viso, the Scandel and San Juan. To all these defensive facilities also joined the so-called Tower of Palomas, a two-storey ochavado building, which was located in the old ′′ Normal “. From this construction they used carrier pigeons and later the heliographer as a means of facilitating communication from the Spanish army. Many of these constructions have completely disappeared, relegated to oblivion of historical archives. Others, luckily, were rescued and rebuilt and remain a reminder of a stage in the holy history of being considered, the most fortified city on the island. ·